Wednesday 24 December 2014

Bring your hand to the Nanaimo Bar...

  I feel the way about my KitchenAid mixer that most people feel about their pets. Probably because I'm not allowed to have a pet and I form emotional attachments easily but nonetheless, I was incredibly excited to get back in a proper kitchen filled with my gadgets and ingredients I didn't have to pay for myself! It eased the pain of leaving London (even temporarily) enough that I did not embarrass myself in Heathrow. Much.


  My mum had already done a fair amount of baking before I arrived so I couldn't go as crazy as I would've liked, but the annual Christmas Nanaimo Bar had yet to be done and I jumped at the chance to prove my belief that everything tastes better when made with digestive biscuits instead of graham crackers. The recipe is simple and requires no actual baking, just time between layers to let them chill and set. Really the best part is crushing the digestive biscuits. You could put them in a food processor but I prefer the old Ziploc bag and meat mallet technique as it is both efficient and helps to relieve pent up aggression and stress. Also it's quiet and whilst I was doing all this my sister was still in bed and you know what they say about poking a sleeping bear and whatnot.

Nanaimo Bars

Base:
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c digestive biscuit crumbs
1 c shredded coconut
1/2 c finely chopped walnuts (I like mine roughly chopped, it's rustic)

Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x9 pan. Cook butter, sugar, cocoa and vanilla over low heat, stirring until smooth. Add the beaten egg and heat just until thickened. Remove from the heat, stire in the crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Mix well. Press into the bottom of the pan, cover and chill for 30 minutes. 

Filling:
1/4 c butter
3 tbsp custard powder
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 c icing sugar

Cream butter, custard powder, milk and vanilla until blended. Add icing sugar. Beat until smooth, then whip until light and creamy adding more milk if needed. Spread evenly over first layer, cover and chill for 30 minutes.

Top:
4 oz semi sweet chocolate
11/2 tsp butter

Heat chocolate and butter on low heat, stirring until smooth. Spread evenly over filling. Let sit at room temperature until set. Score with a knife then refrigerate and cut into bars. 

I forgot to score mine before I chilled it, so the chocolate cracked when I cut it, but what can you do?

For those who are unfamiliar with Nanaimo Bar it's basically diabetes on a plate, but it's also the most delicious thing ever. To my Canadians; digestive biscuits can be found at Thrifty's and London Drugs I am told.


Happy Holiday sugar comas!

-Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment