Wednesday 10 December 2014

This Bread is Bananas

I have discovered the mother of all banana breads which is very poetical as the plethora of bananas I used to make it came from my mother. At the end of her visit in London she found herself loaded with very ripe bananas destined for the bin. Not one to waste anything and being an avid baker herself she bestowed them upon me to freeze and use for later baking endeavours. As my time in this particular flat in London is coming to an end I needed to use them up stat. I'm having trouble as it is finding storage for the things I'm not willing to lug back and forth without adding a small corner of the freezer for five overly ripe bananas to the list of requests. I searched my beloved Pinterest for banana bread recipes and was, of course, drawn to the one with cinnamon and sugar. Also I was too cheap to go buy chocolate chips. 
It turned out so moist, and delicious that I ended up using the remaining bananas originally allocated to try a different recipe to make a second batch weeks later. It was a huge hit with all who tried it. One friend even exclaimed that it was so good she felt she should've paid £5 for it. I informed her she was welcome to, but sadly it never came to be. 

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
Original Recipe courtesy of Shari Blogs


3 medium or 2 large overripe bananas, smashed
(if you freeze and thaw them before smashing it makes the bread nice and moist)
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp milk or almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup bread flour

CINNAMON SUGAR
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

  1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC)
  2. Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with grease proof (parchment) paper
  3. Melt the butter and let stand while you mix the bananas, egg, sugar, milk and vanilla. Mix in melted butter.
  4. Gently stir in baking soda, salt and flour just until combined. If you over mix it will lose it's fluffiness. 
  5. In a separate dish combine cinnamon and sugar.
  6. Pour half the banana batter into your loaf pan and sprinkle it with half your cinnamon mix.
  7. Add the remaining banana batter topping with the rest of the cinnamon sugar.
  8. Bake for 40-50 minutes depending on your oven. It should be just to the point where a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean for optimal texture. 
-Holly




No comments:

Post a Comment