Sunday 19 April 2015

Toffee Sandies

          
      When I left for London last time I left my Dad with nine bags of cookies in the freezer to keep him going until I got back. I was trying to ease the withdrawal pains of not having me around. He loved these whole wheat Toffee Sandies so much that the label from one of the bags has been stuck to the backsplash in our kitchen since he finished the bag as a subtle reminder that he really likes them and would be really happy if I made them again. 
Not so subtle hint
   


    As I'm off to London again shortly for twice as long    I'm  restocking him to keep him going until Christmas.  Obviously I knew the first kind of cookie I was going to  have to make would be these ones and I understand  why; they are delicious. 

   Usually I'm a chewy cookie kind of girl. In my world the cookie doesn't crumble unless it was overbaked but these guys are the exception to my rule. They are the ultimate crumbly cookie but in a soft, silky way. Like eating a white sand beach if it were delicious and tasted like almonds. Hence the name "Sandies". 

They're also incredibly easy to make. 

Toffee Sandies
Makes 2 dozen

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c icing sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/2 c canola oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp almond extract
1-3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c chopped toasted almonds
1/2 package toffee bits (aka Skor bits in Canada)
Preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC)
In a large bowl cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy (or you know, just well mixed)
Add canola oil, egg and almond extract and mix until combined. 
In a separate bowl combine flours, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. 
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sugar and butter mixture and mix well. 
Stir in almonds and toffee pieces. 
Fill a small dish with a few tablespoons of granulated sugar.
Make 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar. 
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and press down with a fork to flatten.
 Bake for about 15 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. 
Remove and allow to cool before stuffing your face. 

Happy eating!
  -Holly

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment