Tuesday 14 July 2015

Love is blonde, and lovers cannot see

I don't know what I just did, but it was delicious. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting when I made this recipe but this wasn't it. I went into this with the intention of making Snickerdoodle Blondies. For those who don't know a Blondie is basically just a brownie without cocoa giving it more of a toffee flavour than chocolate.  Even though I wasn't baking for Count No-chocula he has made me more aware of recipes that contain chocolate so his presence lingers on long after the dust (flour? cocoa powder?) has settled. Also I just happened to have all the ingredients needed on hand so it's not like I'm thinking about him or anything..
   So these Snickerdoodle Blondies are a white, toffee-esque chewy square with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on the top. I had to cut the recipe into 2/3, because I'm a glutton for punishment and a mathematical challenge and also because that's approximately how much smaller our pan was than the one used in the original recipe. I used butter instead of the Crisco used in the original recipe (because Crisco makes me uncomfortable unless it's in pastry and even then I have to not think about it) and they ended up a little on the greasy side, but seriously as long as there was a serviette close by who cares, they tasted amazing. The bake time/temperature was also a bit off on my oven and so I ended up with gooey centres and crispy tops and sides which is the greatest thing ever and I'm not complaining.
 
Snickerdoodle Blondies

1 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 dark brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1/2 tbsp vanilla
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
less than 1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 180º C (350º F, gas mark4) and line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper (purely for ease of cleanup, you can lightly grease the pan and just whack it right in if you don't mind doing the dishes)

Cream butter, both sugars, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix until well combined. Pour it into your prepared pan and spread evenly using a rubber spatula or your good ol' hands. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the centre has set.

Clean up the flour that has managed to cover 2/3 of your kitchen.

That last one might just be for me.

Happy Baking!

-Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment