Sunday 10 January 2016

Roman Holly-day Pasta

Paired nicely with the Ravenswood Zinfandel
Okay, I don't want to cause anyone any shock but I made something that didn't require baking. *gasp*. Okay, I didn't do it alone but I still did at least 50% of the work so it counts. Mum got me an Audrey Hepburn book from the library to read over Christmas which is exactly what I did. Audrey At Home: Memories of My Mother's Kitchen is written by Audrey's youngest son Luca and is filled with lots of her recipes and stories of what she was like at home. It's a great read and will make you crave pasta which is why when it was suggested to make something from the book, I jumped at the chance. (Not literally jumped, I was on a boat).

   We personalized it a bit due to laziness and things we had around but it turned out incredibly delicious and as I return to my life of living off of eggs on toast and smoothies I remember it fondly with just a hint of longing (as I do of the person I made it with).
Seriously, ridiculously good looking

 
Inspired by Audrey Spaghetti al Pomodoro with Chorizo
Serves 2

1 devilishly handsome man to help
.65 kg vine-ripened tomatoes
1/2 onion, peeled
1 celery stalk
1 carrot, peeled
basil leaves, chopped, plus extra for garnish
extra-virgin olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 large chorizo sausage
500 g spaghetti
parmigiano-reggiano cheese

   Cook tomatoes (we added about a cup of oven roasted cherry tomatoes for sweetness), celery, carrot and onion in a large pan with a lid over it at a high heat for about 10 minutes to soften vegetables.

Remove the lid and continue to boil for 10-15 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Lower the heat to medium-low, and add basil leaves, chorizo and a drizzle of olive oil. The sauce is ready when the bubbles are no longer made of water but rather small craters of sauce. Or whenever.

Remove from stove and season with salt and pepper.

Fill a large pot with cold water and place over a high heat to bring to a boil. Add the pasta and a small handful of sea salt. When done, drain and dish onto plates, topping with sauce, parmigiano and a few extra leaves of basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment