Friday 21 July 2017

Oreo By Any Other Name


       After moving back to Vancouver (for now) I quickly discovered one thing: I no longer have any friends in Vancouver. If there's one thing I think all people in my mid (okay late) twenties age group can agree on it's that it's hard to meet people when you move to a new (or old) city. Luckily while working in my local salon I stumbled upon Cam, an apprentice and all around wonderful human being who does my hair and listens to my complaints about how terrible my white privileged life is. I am self aware to know that I have no right to complain but it doesn't stop me from doing it.

  He recently celebrated a birthday and to make him feel special and make sure that he doesn't stop liking me I took it upon myself to bake him a birthday cake! I chose an Oreo drip cake because I knew he liked chocolate, as all good people do, and I'd never attempted a drip cake before. I did actually try it myself as it's hard to explain a birthday cake showing up with a piece missing and I had to run off to my other job but he has assured me many times that it was delicious and so it has earned a place in my arsenal of recipes.

OREO Drip Cake

Cake

– 400g Unsalted Butter, softened
– 400g Light Brown Sugar
– 400g Eggs (roughly 8 Medium Eggs)
– 325g Self-Raising Flour
– 75g Cocoa Powder           

 –1tbsp Instant Espresso
– 2tsp Baking Powder
– 4tbsp Whole Milk

Oreo Buttercream

– 300g Unsalted Butter, softened
– 650g Icing Sugar       

– 2tsp Vanilla
– 154g Oreos
– 2-5tbsps Whole Milk


Drip

– 175g Dark Chocolate
– 1-2tbsps Vegetable/Sunflower Oil
For the Cake:  
Preheat your oven to 350ºF/180ºC and line three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper.
Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add in eggs, flour, cocoa powder, espresso, baking powder and mix until just combined. Add enough milk to loosen the batter a little, it should be a similar consistency to brownie batter. Divide between the three pans and spread evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the buttercream: 
Beat the butter until smooth then add the vanilla and then the icing sugar 1/3 at a time. Continue to beat until nice and light and fluffy. 
Crush the Oreos using either a food processor for nice fine crumbs or a good old fashioned Ziploc bag and rolling pin. I chose the latter and got out some aggression on those poor defenceless cookies. 
Add the crushed Oreos to the buttercream and enough milk so the buttercream becomes a nice spreadable consistency. 
Make sure your cakes have cooled completely and then assemble by spreading a layer of buttercream on a layer of cake and then stacking them on top of one another. Use remaining buttercream to ice the top and sides. 
For the Drip:
Melt chocolate over very low heat and then stir in oil. If you want to get fancy with your decorating you can just drip it down the sides and then save some buttercream to make fancy designs on the top. I just dumped it all on the top spread it around so it dripped off the sides and then squished my leftover Oreos around the edges. I think it looked just fine. 
Leave the cake in the fridge to cool and the drip to harden. 
Slice. Eat. Repeat as necessary. 
-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment